CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 15, 2011

Packing your Pantry

Look at this! I promised a post and it's happening! Of course, having written that, my baby will now wake up screaming.... *long pause* nothing? Okay, good. Lets go.

The following is a list of things that I find invaluable in my pantry. By no means should you run out and buy all of this at once, because if you did your grocery budget would SKY ROCKET. But, try and pick up one or two things a visit. You'll never run out of everything at once, which means your grocery list stays small!

These are just my recommendations. I'll give you my reasonings behind it, and creative ways to use it. I plan on talking about "Pantry Meals" as well (but probably not today!ha!), which is when you don't have written down meal plans, but you "shop" your pantry.

Oh, and hey, check us out at The Playdate Crashers today! I'm guest posting there my coupon post from yesterday! Go leave them some blog love!

PANTRY MUST HAVES:

All Purpose Flour
Cornmeal (Self-Rising or not, doesn't really matter)
Baking Powder
Salt (Sea Salt, Kosher Salt & Table Salt -- each has different uses. I use sea salt as a finishing salt, I use kosher as a rub or in pasta water, and table salt for baking and as, well, table salt).
Buttermilk Powder (Sounds weird, I know... but I use it to make homemade ranch dressing, I add it to biscuit dough, cornbread & waffles).
Pasta (spaghetti, linguine, macaroni, shells, lasagna, & ziti or rotelle or something like that).
Corn oil (or veg oil of your choice, I don't like canola because it's made from rape seeds, which are highly posionious. I just don't trust a oil made from that, sorry!).
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Vegetable Shortening (*gasp, shock, horror!*)
Sugar (brown, white & confectioners please!)
Oats (quick & old fashioned, and if your feeling brave, Steel Cut as well!)
Yeast (and not just the packets, find somewhere (health food stores) that sell it in bulk, buy a cup and put it in your freezer. It works better than the packets and is, oh, about $15 cheaper).
Real Vanilla Extract
Nuts (Whatever you like. My choices are Pecans & Almonds)
Peanut butter
Nutella (okay, okay... not a necessity but IT SHOULD BE.)
Chicken & Beef Stock (preferably low sodium!)
Rice (Long grain and Basmati (short grain))
Potatoes (both big & small. I generally buy 10lb bags of whatever is on sale)

Herbs & Spices
Garlic Powder
Dried onions
Rosemary (excellent on chicken, beef, or pork!)
Thyme (mmm...chicken!)
Dried Pepper Flakes
Sage 
Bay Leaves
Taco Seasoning (again, don't buy the packets. Buy a bulk container, much cheaper. LOOK FOR MSG FREE IN EVERYTHING!!!)
Italian Seasoning (you can make your own, but this is easier to just grab occasionally!)
Oregano
Basil
Cilantro
Cardamom 
Curry Powder
Paprika
Cream of Tarter
Balsamic Vinegar
Red Wine Vinegar



IN THE FRIDGE
Buttermilk
Milk (we drink 2%)
Butter (I prefer salted, but you can use unsalted if your watching your sodium)
Sour cream
Plain yogurt
Cheese (I stick with parmesean, mozerella, cheddar, and usually a colby jack, and sometimes american)
Eggs
Red wine (even if you don't drink wine, which we don't really, it adds SO MUCH FLAVOR to various dishes!)
White wine
Bacon (and lots of it! If you don't use it a lot, store it in the freezer and then slice off 1 inch portions. 1 inch = 1 slice of bacon!)
Onions
Garlic
Baby carrots (or full grown carrots)
Meat ( follow the sales, plan your meals around the sales, not your meals around a specific meat)

If I think about anything else, I'll add it. I add fruits & veggies that look fresh to the lists, but I only buy whats on sale/in season. I'm in desperate need of sleep, so I'll end this here... but coming up soon... How to USE these items in your kitchen and how to "shop" your pantry! Plus, saying goodbye to "strict" meal plans!

If you have any questions, leave um in the comments! Make sure I have an email or something to get a hold of you though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your questions or comments! Please, please, PLEASE make sure your email is listed in your profile, to PLEASE provide it here so I can respond to you! If you prefer, email me at divasmomblog @ gmail dot com!